1.How many of you have a song or some other piece of music “playing” in your head, right now?
2. During roughly what percentage of your waking time do you have “mental music” playing (that is, when you’re not listening to an external source of music)?
3. How much voluntary control do you have over the music playing in your head? If a song you don’t like starts to “play”, are you able to replace it with something you like better, or do you get stuck with “earworms” – songs that you can’t get rid of despite trying?
4. How “high-fidelity” is the music that plays in your head? Do you hear all of the instruments and voices? Do they sound the same as they do in the recording you are most familiar with? (For example, if you heard the internal voice “in real life”, would you recognize the singer?)
6. Is your mental music faithful to the recording, or do you insert your own flourishes and improvisations?
7. Do you ever find a new song playing in your head, with no idea how it got there, only to realize in retrospect that some specific cue in your environment “triggered” it? If so, can you think of examples?
8. Do you ever go to sleep with one song in your head and wake up with a completely different one “playing”?
9. If there’s part of a song that you don’t like, can you “fast forward” through it mentally to get to the good stuff?
10. If you do frequently find music playing in your head, do you consider it a blessing, a curse, or does it depend on circumstances (and if so, which ones)?
I’ll offer my own answers tomorrow, but I’m very interested in hearing yours.