As we have some newcomers, and some new-oldcomers (including me!) I thought I’d just draw everyone’s attention to the Rules of the Game at TSZ. They are written here and updated from time to time, but I have also pasted them below. We do try not to be heavy-handed with them, and to be as equitable as is humanly possible, but we will make judgements that you disagree with, possibly with good reason. The good news is that you can discuss these in Moderation Issues, and that, with the exception of a very narrow and specific range of material, posts will only be moved, not deleted. Moving a post because it contravenes a rule does NOT imply ANY kind of moral judgment on the post. A post can be morally justified yet contravene the rules, and can be morally indefensible yet remain within it. The rules are entirely orthogonal to morality, and when we ask you to “assume all other posters are posting in good faith” we do not require that you believe it, any more than the assumption of innocence until proven guilty requires belief in a person’s innocence.That is why I call them “Game rules”. They are simply the rules of the discussion game as played here at TSZ. We also have the Sandbox for off-topic scrapping that is getting in the way of discussion, or even off-topic chat about fun stuff.
I do hope that people from UD will join us, now that a number of us have decided that the UD practice of deleting entire users makes it simply not worth the effort of serious engagement at UD. We genuinely welcome UD regulars and ID supporters, although I, as owner of this site, and my fellow admins are not, as you are probably aware, ID supporters. But that means it becomes even more important to get keep within the Game rules. So if people feel a slight raising of the Guano threshold, please do not take it personally. It’s just the alpha penguin exerting her matriarchal rights.
- Assume all other posters are posting in good faith.
- For example, do not accuse other posters of being deliberately misleading
- Do not turn this site into a peanut gallery for observing the antics on other boards. (there are plenty of places on the web where you can do that!)
- Address the post, not the poster.
- This means that accusing others of ignorance or stupidity is off topic
- As is implying that other posters are mentally ill or demented.
- Don’t advocate illegal activities.
- Don’t post porn, or links to porn, or any material liable to risk the integrity of another poster’s computer.
- If you have author permissions, and post an OP, you may find you have the technical ability to edit comments to your post, and move them. Please do not do so. Rule violating posts will be moved by moderators, and it is a principle of this site that comments are not edited, deleted, or hidden.
- Don’t use this site to try to “out” other internet denizens or indulge in ad hominem speculations. Such speculations may, notwithstanding general principles regarding deletion, be deleted.