As this site is still a fledgling, I’m feeling my way with regard to rules.
So I’m going to start a bit vague, then get more specific as need arises.The principle is in the strapline: Park your priors by the door. Everyone has priors, they are crucial to way we make sense of the world. But the impetus behind this site is to be a place where they can be loosened and adjusted while you wait. So leave them by the door, and pick them up again as you leave!
There are plenty of blogs and forums where people with like priors can hang out and scoff at those who do not share them. There’s nothing wrong with those sites, and I’ve learned a lot from them. But the idea here is to provide a venue where people with very different priors can come to discover what common ground they share; what misunderstandings of other views they hold; and, having cleared away the straw men, find out where their real differences lie. In my experience, when you reach that point, who is right becomes obvious to both parties
So draft rules:
- Assume all other posters are posting in good faith.
- For example, do not accuse other posters of being deliberately misleading
- Do not
useturn this site into asa peanut gallery for observing the antics on other boards. (there are plenty of places on the web where you can do that!)
- Address the post, not the poster.
- This means that accusing others of ignorance or stupidity is off topic
- As is implying that other posters are mentally ill or demented.
- Don’t advocate illegal activities.
- Don’t post porn, or links to porn, or any material liable to risk the integrity of another poster’s computer*.
ETA 8th September 2013
- If you have author permissions, and post an OP, you may find you have the technical ability to edit comments to your post, and move them. Please do not do so. Rule violating posts will be moved by moderators, and it is a principle of this site that comments are not edited, deleted, or hidden.
That’ll do for starters!
Posts won’t be moderated unless I find there’s a problem – if your post is held in moderation it’ll just be because the spam filter caught it.
If you want to post OPs, let me know and I’ll register you as a Subscriber. That means your OPs will be held in moderation until I click the publish button. If all goes well, I’ll push people up to Author.
One last thing – I’ve set the nesting for threaded comments to be quite deep, because I like nested sites – derails are much less of a problem and I’m an inveterate derailer. So use the nesting if it suits your post i.e. if you are replying to a specific post rather than making a general point re the OP.
And thanks for coming!
ETA: I’ve added the coloured text above for clarity (22.2.2012)
ETA2: Blue text added above for clarity (7.05.2012)
ETA3: New rule added in purple (12.05.2012)
ETA4: *Violation of rule in purple will result in immediate and permanent ban (14.05.2012)
ETA5: Peanut rule gallery relaxed a little (5th November 2012)