Sandbox (4)

Sometimes very active discussions about peripheral issues overwhelm a thread, so this is a permanent home for those conversations.

I’ve opened a new “Sandbox” thread as a post as the new “ignore commenter” plug-in only works on threads started as posts.

610 Replies to “Sandbox (4)”

1. BruceS

Alan Fox:
    newton,

Things have to get worse before they get better! How much worse can it get?

Paging Dr Walto…..

2. newton

Alan Fox:
    newton,

Things have to get worse before they get better!

Never understood that , seems like things have to get better for things to get better. You don’t need to hit your thumb with a hammer to make you thumb not hurt.

How much worse can it get?

Off the top of my head, my idiot countrymen could re-elect the vulgar talking yam.

3. newton

BruceS: The 2020 Commission Report on the North Korean Nuclear Attacks Against the United States

The question is whose side is my President going to be on?

4. fifthmonarchyman

Guys,

I thought I posted an OP yesterday and it does not seem to show up. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

peace

5. BruceS

newton: The question is whose side is my President going to be on?

I’m not sure where you live, so I don’t know about that.

In any event, the book is a fictional but well-thought out scenario of how NK comes to launch a nuclear attack on SK, Japan, and US.

The US/NK negotiations fail, NK shoots down an SK passenger plane thinking it is a US spy plane, SK responds with a limited military strike, Trump randomly tweets a threat to “little rocket man”. This all leads to NK deciding it is about to be invaded so needs to resort to the nuclear option.

How realistic is that? Well, the news about the negotiations is not good and all the other steps but the last have already happened separately…

6. Neil Rickert

fifthmonarchyman: I thought I posted an OP yesterday and it does not seem to show up.

It still shows as a draft. Perhaps you forgot to click “publish”.

7. Allan Miller

Alan Fox: I’m hoping against hope the old saw “things have to get worse before they get better” turns out to be true.

Hmmm. They may have thought that in Yemen and Syria too. Not that I’m claiming equivalence, of course; the tribulations of a rich nation are hardly to be compared. Still … Brexit, to a Remoaner.

8. BruceS

A different take on intelligent design in biology:
    How to engineer biology