Sandbox (3)

Sometimes very active discussions about peripheral issues overwhelm a thread, so this is a permanent home for those conversations.

This is also a continuation of previous Sandbox threads (1) and (2) that have fallen victim to the dreaded page bug.

1,008 Replies to “Sandbox (3)”

1. Alan Fox Alan Fox says:

Dutch take on Trump!

2. Patrick Patrick says:

Just for a change of pace, what do people think of punching Nazis?

3. Mung Mung says:

Patrick: Just for a change of pace, what do people think of punching Nazis?

Is Adapa a Nazi? That could change my decision. Otherwise it sounds too much like punching Jews, or gays, or non-whites. So no, not in favor.

I bet you think all Nazis are child abusers too though, right?

4. Frankie Frankie says:

Patrick:
    Just for a change of pace, what do people think of punching Nazis?

The same I feel about punching evos

5. Patrick Patrick says:

I bet you think all Nazis are child abusers too though, right?

I think that people who teach their children to hate people of other races are abusing their children. Don’t you?

6. Mung Mung says:

A supposed libertarian advocating for thought crimes. Pigs fly.

7. petrushka says:

Actual courts dealing with claims of abuse have as their only guiding principle, the best interest of the child.

Pretty flexible standard. Obviously, “best interest” and religious teaching would be treated differently in the Soviet Union, Saudi Arabia, or rural Alabama.

Contrary to claims made from dictionary definitions, courts give lots of consideration to the emotional and educational well being of children.

In my own professional training, I was taught that physical abuse is much less damaging than emotional abuse or neglect. And that physical abusers are much more likely to respond to intervention than emotional abusers.

Which leads me back to my primary concern. Is it abusive to threaten children with eternal torment for disbelief?

8. Patrick Patrick says:

A supposed libertarian advocating for thought crimes. Pigs fly.

I never advocated for it being a crime. I also note you failed to answer my question.

9. keiths keiths says:

Mung fail.

10. dazz dazz says:

keiths:
    Mung fail.

Department of Redundancy Department?

11. Mung Mung says:

Patrick: I also note you failed to answer my question.

12. Rumraket Rumraket says:

Mung: A supposed libertarian advocating for thought crimes. Pigs fly.

Someone who literally believes in just punishment for thought-crime, unironically trying to saddle another person with advocating thought-crime.

This is what irony is made of.

13. Mung Mung says:

Irony generates one of those fields that Allan Miller can’t detect.

14. Patrick Patrick says:

Mung: And if that bothers you it would please me to keep doing it. Just call me a Patrick abuser. It’s for your own good.

As long as you don’t ask me to call you Daddy. I might think you’re Milo then.

15. stcordova says:

And in other news democrat Elizabeth Warren supports a YEC to the Trump Cabinet. Yay!

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., found herself in an unusual position after voting to support retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson’s nomination to President Trump’s cabinet — defending herself to aggrieved progressives.

On Wednesday evening, after considerable pushback from supporters, Warren wrote on Facebook that she thinks backing Carson was a reasonable decision despite her “serious, deep, profound concerns” about Carson’s inexperience and the “outrageous things” he said as a Republican presidential candidate.

16. stcordova says:

And in other news, Jerry Coyne found out our Vice President is a creationist, Mike Pence. Yay!

17. stcordova says:

Kudos to Jerry Coyne for defending free speech:

I was saddened to hear about the violence in D.C. this weekend, with over 100 people arrested and substantial damage to property. If a march is to succeed, it should be nonviolent, as was the case with the civil rights and Vietnam marches in the Sixties (yes, I know there was some violence). If the Left is to keep the moral high ground, we simply can’t go around physically attacking those whose views we don’t like. In fact it’s ironic, because when progressives do this, they’re implicitly denying someone a REAL safe space: a space to be free to express your opinions and remain physically safe. “Safety” refers to freedom from physical attack or illegal harassment, not to freedom from hearing views you don’t like.

As a conscientious objector, I’ve always adhered to the nonviolent philosophies of Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi, for if you start violence, you lose credibility.

Even a white supremacist deserves to have his say without being physically attacked.

18. Mung Mung says:

Patrick: Just for a change of pace, what do people think of punching Nazis?

Thinking of coming out of the closet and want to know if it’s safe?

19. TristanM says:

stcordova:

Yay that Jerry knows this. Boo that the VP was born in the 17th century.

20. AhmedKiaan says:

ID is so boring blah blah my bullshit probability calculations blah blah some new acronym I made up blah blah. I so wish PaV would write up, or point to where he’s written up, his understanding of the science of HIV. That would be new and fresh and exciting.

Sadly, he is scared.

21. fifthmonarchyman says:

Hey guys

I’d like to post an OP but it’s a little long.
    How do I go about inserting “continue reading” breaks in the body?

peace

22. Mung Mung says:

Look for the more button.

ETA: if you click on it, it will add the following:

<!–more–>

23. Neil Rickert says:

There’s a “more”. Position the cursor where you want the break and click the icon for more (a dotted line in the middle of the icon).

If you can’t work it out, then I’ll add that later. But then you don’t get to choose the break point.

24. fifthmonarchyman says:

thanks guys

peace

25. fifthmonarchyman says:

Is there a good way to post a long string of numerical digits? Richardthughes asked for the raw data behind my chart and I like to give it to him with out being too ugly

peace

26. keiths keiths says:

Don’t post it! Upload it and share the link.

27. Patrick Patrick says:

fifthmonarchyman:

peace

Upload it to PasteBin.

28. stcordova says:

Political Correctness going too far, imho.

Here’s another instance of political correctness on a college campus going a smidge too far, courtesy of the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities: A proposed resolution to recognize the 9/11 terrorist attacks on campus each year was rejected by the Minnesota Student Association as it may potentially violate a “safe space” on campus.

An alternative then is to make universities almost free of any political and cultural discussion. As in totally sterilize the environment. Let’s not have presidential debates or election debates at University Campuses anymore.

Heck, let’s just make most classes online and sterilized of offending content and then go to places like Skeptical Zone where we can enjoy free speech in an “unsafe space”. Sheesh!

29. Mung Mung says:

stcordova: Heck, let’s just make most classes online and sterilized of offending content and go to places like Skeptical Zone where offending each other is par for the course.

🙂

30. Neil Rickert says:

stcordova: Why should colleges be places your feelings are always coddled? If that’s the case let colleges be safe spaces for creationists and Christians too!

Colleges are already safe places for creationists and Christians.

I don’t know the full story from U. of Mn., but I’m not impressed by the Townhall argument.

From a faculty perspective: Let’s have a special event 7 days a week for 52 weeks of the year. And then we can teach the actual curriculum in the time left over.

Students are there to learn, not to be distracted by these kinds of events.

You see the objection as a kind of political correctness. But surely the claim that there should be a special event is its own kind of political correctness.

31. petrushka says:

keiths:
    NASA Announces Major Exoplanet Discovery

Call me when they detect oxygen.

32. GlenDavidson says:

You hear about an event featuring your favorite scientist or scholar from the world of intelligent design research

Bolding added.

Yes, I wish to discuss greenscreens.

Glen Davidson

ETA: I meant for this to be a reply to Richardthughes’ post above, but for some reason it didn’t take.

33. Tom English Tom English says:

Yet another \LaTeX experiment:

\[\mathbf{\bar{1}}<em>T(\omega) = \frac{1}{|\omega|} \sum</em>{i=1}^{|\omega|} \mathbf{1}_T(\omega_i)\]

34. Tom English Tom English says:

Underscores are transformed into emphasis delimiters.

35. Tom English Tom English says:

[latexmath]\mathbf{\bar{1}}T(\omega) = \frac{1}{|\omega|} \sum{i=1}^{|\omega|} \mathbf{1}_T(\omega_i)[/latexmath]

36. Tom English Tom English says:

It sucks, but it works: put the \LaTeX between backquotes, to suppress MarkDown translation.

37. Tom English Tom English says:

Let's try something more advanced. I put a backquote at the beginning of this comment, and a backquote at the end.

\begin{align*} I(J; A)     &= H(J) + H(A) - H(J, A) \\    &= -\!\sum_{i=1}^L p(i) \log p(i)            - \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}}  p(a) \log p(a)            + \sum_{i=1}^L \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}} p(i, a) \log p(i, a) \\    &= -\!\sum_{i=1}^L \frac{1}{L} \log \frac{1}{L}           - \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}}  p(a) \log p(a)            + \sum_{i=1}^L \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}} p(i, a) \log p(i, a) \\    &= L           - \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}}  p(a) \log p(a)            + \sum_{i=1}^L \sum_{a \in \mathcal{A}} p(i, a) \log p(i, a) \\ \end{align*}

38. Tom English Tom English says:

[latex] and [/latex]

or

[latex] and [/latex]

39. Patrick Patrick says:

Tom English:

That’s weird. The Markdown plugin has been disabled for a while. Perhaps one of the others also supports some variant. I’ll have a look this weekend.