About this site….

My name is Elizabeth Liddle, and I started this site to be a place where people could discuss controversial positions about life, the universe and everything with minimal tribal rancour (pay no attention to the penguins….)

My motivation for starting the site has been the experience of trying to discuss religion, politics, evolution, the Mind/Brain problem, creationism, ethics, exit polls, probability, intelligent design, and many other topics in venues where positions are strongly held and feelings run high.  In most venues, one view dominates, and there is a kind of “resident prior” about the integrity, intelligence and motivation of those who differ from the majority view.

That is why the strapline says: “Park your priors by the door”.  They may be adjusted by the time you leave!

I will start the blog off with a series of posts arising from some interesting discussions at Uncommon Descent, which were difficult to pursue because of the blog format over there.  I hope that the participants in those discussions will come over here where we can continue them without having to move from squat to squat on other threads, derailing them as we go.

I also hope that other people will join me in posting new OPs, so that it becomes a group blog, and that people will also offer to write guest OPs.

In the mean time, welcome to all, and have a free virtual beer on the house!

Lizzie

238 Replies to “About this site….”

1. Elizabeth says:

And thanks, rhampton!

I should do a FAQ for the site, and when I do, I’ll put your post there.

2. Elizabeth says:

I will also try to include those in the comment allowed tags.

3. Allan Miller says:

rhampton7,

bold – think he no work. Certainly not in preview anyhow. Now let’s try “post”…

eta nope – he no worky.

4. rhampton7 says:

Allan Miller,

On my mac (Firefox v12), the bold tag does render the font face a bit heavier, but not as heavy as the strong tag. Specifically…

text — font-weight: 300
    <b>text</b> — font-weight: 400
    <strong>text</strong> — font-weight: 700

In addition, the font-family is set to render in this order: “Helvetica Neue”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif. So it’s also possible that the font your browser renders the comments in doesn’t support separate 300 & 400 weights, and thus uses one version of the typeface in both cases. (Can you guess my profession?)

5. rhampton7 says:

To produce this…

This is a test of superscript and subscript

…write your comment like this…

This is test of <b style="font-size:xx-small;vertical-align:bottom;">superscript</b> and <b style="font-size:xx-small;vertical-align:bottom;">subscript</b>

Failure – (it worked in the editor’s preview, I swear!)

6. Mike Elzinga says:

Testing

This text contains subscript text.
    This text contains superscript text.

Nope!

7. Mike Elzinga says:

Another test:

ₘCₚ

E = mc⁲

Nope!

8. olegt says:

Mike Elzinga:
    Another test:

ₘCₚ

E = mc⁲

Not very pretty.

That’s all right, Mike. We shall rely on TeX code!
    E = mc^2.
    n(\epsilon) = \frac{1}{e^{\beta \epsilon} + 1}.
    🙂

9. Mike Elzinga says:

olegt: That’s all right, Mike. We shall rely on TeX code!

Yeah.

After I have marked up my math comments with HTML tags, it’s so messy that it is almost impossible to edit. Between my mild dyslexia and my aging eyes, I miss a lot and don’t see what I did wrong until it hits the editor. Then I have to find the error. The Unicode would be even worse.

Oh well. 🙂

10. Elizabeth says:

Oh boy. OK, it’s going to have to be next weekend. Do I hear any volunteers for coding?

11. Joe G says:

For bold use strong

12. Elizabeth says:

super and subscripts should now work for comments.

Let me know if you have any problems!

13. Mike Elzinga says:

Testing:

E = mc2

nCp

2U = 0

Sweet!

14. Elizabeth says:

Let me know if this editor is any use.

It seems to disappear if you use the quote button, but I guess it could still be useful.

15. Patrick says:

Mike Elzinga: Testing: E = mc2 nCp2U= 0 Sweet!

You had me at ∇.

16. Mike Elzinga says:

Patrick: You had me at ∇.

It is called “the farmer in the del.”

17. olegt says:

Test. ab. Δ

18. olegt says:

Mike Elzinga: You probably have seen the picture of a smiling stick figure with a straw hat, holding a pitchfork standing inside the del (nabla) operator. It is called “the farmer in the del.”

2φ = −4πρ.

Hey, this seems to work! Thanks, Elizabeth!

19. Elizabeth says:

e^{\i \pi} + 1 = 0

20. ElizabethsSock says:

e^{\i \pi} + 1 = 0

21. Elizabeth says:

Yay, latex enabled in comments!

22. Mike Elzinga says:

Hmmm.

I didn’t get it right the first time.

23. Elizabeth says:

You need to put it in latex tags: {latex} {/latex}

(replace {}with square brackets)

24. Mike Elzinga says:

&epsilon;i,k,k

ε

εi,j,k

25. Mike Elzinga says:

Elizabeth:

You need to put it in latex tags: {latex} {/latex}

(replace {}with square brackets)

Ah; DUH!

Thank you.

26. Mike Elzinga says:

frac{{ - bpm sqrt {b^2 - 4ac}}}{{2a}}

I think I am going to have to go back and review my LaTeX.

27. Mike Elzinga says:

1/2,sqrt {{b}^{2}-4,ac}a

I think I am getting old and forgetful. 🙁

28. olegt says:

It looks like LaTeX works in the standard reply window, but when I edit a comment later, all of the formatting is stripped away.
     i\hbar \, \partial \psi/\partial t = \hat{H} \psi.

29. Mike Elzinga says:

olegt:

I’m noticing the same thing.

Now how do I log out? The logout link seems to have disappeared.

Wait a minute! I appears that I AM logged out. but I can still edit this comment.

30. Elizabeth says:

That’s because I briefly allowed nonregistered users to comment so that the person who wrote the Quote Comments plug-in could see why it wasn’t working properly.

I’ve put it back to how it was now.

31. Mike Elzinga says:

OK.  I’m logged in and I see the “log out?” link.

I will post this, log out, and check to see if I can still edit it.

32. Mike Elzinga says:

Elizabeth:

That’s because I briefly allowed the nonregistered users to comment so that the person who wrote the Quote Comments plug-in could see why it wasn’t working properly.

Ok. I was beginng to think I was losing it.

I’ve put it back to how it was now.

I replied to this and the message didn’t post. Now I am trying to reply by editing.

Ok, the edit posted. Now I am going to log out.

33. ElizabethsSock says:

lkksdj  ospdfj odjdnv dlkvjoseu ankcv dideo  dfvndkfn fhsdii hdsfn oed oah eh  kvkdf oaj oh oihdiahdi hoheoihei fdjf i   dfodfjoe jkvd ofjndoifoeieoapppidk dkfj doape efihdipe fewqop adjpij dj d padoifjd of jeopi fdkovpdj oeapvoiasdpoewpdkdopa fea oej eao apo iaepij eo jeap

• dslakfjdsj djdopasf peorjwapj eowap japjeowaui podijfdoidaspuaw9ereaw dskfhdsioia e9d sfoa
    • dkjfpoads
    • asdf japodf adpsf
    • dfadspoj daspfo
    • dfkopj odaspf as

jgopofg

1. kfg pfdogj fdg
    2. fg opjfjd
    3. fkg posdf
    4. df gpodsf
    5.  fgopdsfo
    6. eip

34. Elizabeth says:

Let me know what you think of the new comment area.  I’ve dropped the spell check as it seemed unnecessary, and I’ve managed to remove the clusterfuck of labels that was obliterating the left hand end of the menu bar.  I think all the buttons work for all users, but let me know if they don’t.

Latex now works, but you have to enclose it in {latex}{/latex} tags (replace curly brackets by square brackets).

The quote function was conflicting with a number of other functions, so I have removed it.

However copy and paste plus the quote button should work reasonably well.

I’ve kept the nesting at 1 layer, so that if people want to make a specific comment to one post they can do so (I find that quite useful, for something a bit off topic, so as not to start a major derail).

Feedback welcome 🙂

35. olegt says:

Let’s see…

int cos{kx} , dx = 2pidelta(k).

TeX works in the reply mode. Editing a comment removes all of the TeX formatting.

36. Elizabeth says:

I’m not sure I can do anything about that.  The Edit Comments plug in isn’t very flexible.

I can do it in the main editor, so you could email me the changes you want.

Or alternatively, repost, and click the “request deletion” button for your original.

Feel free to use this thread to experiment before posting!

37. olegt says:

I was slightly mistaken. The Edit Comment plugs does not remove all of the TeX stuff, it jut seems to strip away the backslashes. So [latex]\exp{ikx}[\latex] turns into [latex]exp{ikx}[\latex].

I think we can live with it in the comments. I have not yet tried TeX in an opening post.

38. olegt says:

Is there a chance that we can get back the non-wysiwygReply window?

39. Elizabeth says:

Well, I could disable it.  Or you could use the HTML button I’ve just added, which gives you straight code.

40. Elizabeth says:

test

test

41. olegt says:

That works! Thank you, Liz.

42. Joe G says:

[quote]quotes[/quote]

43. Joe G says:

<q>quotes</q>

44. Joe G says:

<blockquote>quotes</blockquote>

45. Joe G says:

I found the button!

46. Joe G says:

Does the quote button work?

47. Joe G says:

OK got it.

what can be quoted?

It seems to quote the entire comment  – can we select what we want quoted?

48. rhampton7 says:

Elizabeth,

When you get the chance, can you fix the CSS so that the textarea of the comment window is white? It looks like the style is currently set to a transparent background. If this is the only iframe then this should do the trick:

.wp_themeSkin iframe {background-color:#fff;}

But if that interferes with other iframes, then you can add this style to the CSS:

.wp_themeSkin iframe#comment_ifr {background-color:#fff;}